[pgpool-hackers: 1690] Re: Question about new PGPOOL SET command

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 05:37:35 JST 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> wrote:

> Usama,
>
> In your implementation of new PGPOOL SET command in 3.6, config change
> context is defined as enum:
>
> typedef enum
> {
>         CFGCXT_BOOT,
>         CFGCXT_INIT,
>         CFGCXT_RELOAD,
>         CFGCXT_PCP,
>         CFGCXT_SESSION
> } ConfigContext;
>
> and each configuration parameter is assinged to one of them. Does the
> order of enum value has any meaning ever? I mean, if certain variable
> context is assiged to CFGCXT_RELOAD, then the variable can be changed
> in CFGCXT_BOOT and CFGCXT_INIT context, for example.
>
> Yes, The order of enum value does matter, and the configuration variable
with a specific config context can only be set/changed from the same or
context with lower values.
For example if the variable has the CFGCXT_RELOAD context, then it can only
be changed using context <= CFGCXT_RELOAD (i.e. CFGCXT_BOOT, CFGCXT_INIT
and CFGCXT_RELOAD) but not from the context having a value greater than
variable context.

Do, you found any problem with it?

Regards
Muhammad Usama