[pgpool-hackers: 1507] Re: kind does not match error in pgpool

Ahsan Hadi ahsan.hadi at enterprisedb.com
Tue Apr 19 17:50:06 JST 2016

I agree this cause lot of annoyance to pgpool users and something we should
address for 3.6.

Usama,
Is this added to 3.6 wiki?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Muhammad Usama <m.usama at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> pgpool throws ".. kind does not match.." error message when all the
> attached backend nodes do not return the same response to the query. Although
> this error message can be a symptom of the backend node sync issue in
> most cases, but in case when the message kind of backend nodes differs
> because one of the backend returned the notice response while the other
> returned some other kind then that case should not be considered as an
> error case.
>
> Consider the scenario where a pgpool is connected to three backend nodes
> and pgpool is expecting to receive "[C] command complete" message from
> all nodes for the last query. But while processing the query one of the
> backend also produced a warning message.
>
> ... WARNING: database "testdb" must be vacuum within 11000000 transaction
>
> Please note that the query was successful on all attached backend, but one
> backend also produced an extra warning message along with the command
> complete message.
>
> Now pgpool will throw an error something like
>
> ERROR: pid 720: read_kind_from_backend: 1 th kind N does not match
> with master or majority connection kind C
>
> But since the node would also have sent the expected command complete
> message after that warning notice, So Ideally, pgpool should ignore the
> WARNING message and compare the subsequent message, and only throw an error
> if the message from nodes after ignoring notification messages differs.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?
>
> Kind regards
> Muhammad Usama

Ahsan Hadi
Snr Director Product Development
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Phone: +92-51-8358874
Mobile: +92-333-5162114

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.