[pgpool-general: 8684] Re: Will pgpool deny data modification when the only replica server is down?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Mar 29 19:58:19 JST 2023

> Hi!
> I noticed in postgresql, the master server will reject any data
> modification when no replica is available and replication mode is "sync". I
> wonder if pgpool will inherit this policy or will tolerate data
> modification temporarily for higher availability?

Pgpool-II inherits this policy.

If you are looking for sync replication and ability to modify data
when there's only one PostgreSQL server, you might want to take a look
at "snapshot isolation mode" of Pgpool-II.
https://www.pgpool.net/docs/44/en/html/configuring-pgpool.html#RUNNING-MODE

Note that there are some limitations with this mode (especially, only
REPEATABLE READ transaction isolation mode is allowed).

Best reagards,
SRA OSS LLC