[pgpool-general: 8663] Doubts about online recovery functionality

Jesús Campoy jesuscampoy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 08:26:54 JST 2023

Hi all,

I would like to know if I need to use the functionality called online
recovery using pcp_recovery_node.
I'm using streaming replication with 2 nodes in different hosts, server1 is
the master and server2 is the slave. Both of them are running pgpool with
watchdog and VIP.

Server1 is always powered on but sometimes I need to power off server2.
When I power on server2 again, I call a script before running Postgres and
pgpool to make pg_rewind from server1 and if it fails, make pg_basebackup.
Once I have both databases replicated and running, I can see that both are
attached in pgpool (I can see them in show pool_nodes). I guess that the
new standby node is automatically attached because the auto_failback
parameter is true.
So, should I call pcp_recovery_node in server2 instead of calling my
script? What are the advantages of using it?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Jesús