[pgpool-general: 8558] Re: What user does PgPool run as?

Bo Peng pengbo at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jan 25 09:30:57 JST 2023

hi,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:49:04 -0600
Ron <ronljohnsonjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> (I'm still configuring PgPool 4.3, so haven't started it yet.)
>
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/pgpool.service say that PgPool runs as use
> "postgres", but the docs
> (https://www.pgpool.net/docs/43/en/html/example-cluster.html) say "default
> root user", and that root's public key must be copied to user postgres on
> all the nodes.

If you are installing Pgpool-II using RPM packages,
the startup user is "postgres".
The old versions (pgpool-II 4.0 or before), the default startup user is root.

> This old message
> (https://www.pgpool.net/pipermail/pgpool-general/2018-July/006227.html) says
> reasonably that root is needed to control the VIP.  You've got to jump
> through some hoops to run PgPool as non-root.

If you are installing Pgpool-II using RPM packages,
the postgres user is automatically configured to be able to run ip and arping commands in /etc/sudoers.

postgres ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/ip
postgres ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/arping