[pgpool-general: 8408] Re: Extended query and cache

Avi Raboah avi.raboah at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 00:36:34 JST 2022

The issue with the aws performance insights
Is a result of the way pgpool read frontend packets when cache enabled and
disabled.

If we querying pgpool in extended query mode and cache disabled I can see
the following -
1. Read parse from frontend and send to backend.
2. Read bind message and send to the backend
3. Read describe message and send to the backend
4. Read execute message and send to the backend —>

Until here the connection is in active state under pg_stats_activity

5. Read sync message and send to backend. —>
Now the connection moved to idle state.

When cache enabled and the query was found in cache :

1. Read parse from frontend and send to backend.
2. Read bind message and send to the backend
3. Read describe message and send to the backend
4. Read execute message and send to the backend —>

Now pgpool found the query in cache so execute message not send to the
backend.
In that case instead of read sync from frontend and update the backend in
order to move the connection state from active to idle . Pgpool start read
packet from backend which will be ‘1’, ‘2’ and so on untill
commandComplete. This behaviour cause the connection to be in active state
until command complete.

I am trying to understand if it’s a bug or it should be like that.

Thanks,

Avi.