[pgpool-general: 8454] pgpool_status and backend status update rules

Giuseppe Sacco giuseppe at sguazz.it
Tue Oct 11 18:22:37 JST 2022

Hello,
from what I understood, the /var/log/postgresql/pgpool_status file contains
a text line for each of the backend servers. The line text is "up" or
"down" based on the availability of the server.

It seems to be that pgpool load the file while starting up and set the
status of the backends according to the file. Then, when the connection to
a backend fails, I suppose it will update the file. Or, maybe, when
pcp_detach_node is run. May pgpool also sets the status "down" for a
standby backend that has a non zero delay_threshold?

I am unsure about when pgpool sets again "up" a backend status. Is that
only when pcp_attach_node is called?

Thank you,
Giuseppe