[pgpool-general: 8199] Re: rejecting connections when num_init_children reached

Bo Peng pengbo at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jun 2 13:21:22 JST 2022

Hello,

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using pgpool v3.4.3 and have the following setup
>
> num_init_children = 25
> max_pool = 4
>
> >From my understanding this would allow for 4 unique db user combinations
> each with 25 preforked processes / connections.  I have noticed that when
> the num_init_childern process count is reached for one unique combination
> (db_a) it will block / slow down connections to db_b which have not reached
> that limit.
>
> We are using pgbouncer in front of pgpool which is creating persistent
> connections which could be part of the problem.
>
> Could I be right

It is the expected behavior.

Pgpool-II accepts requests up to "num_init_children".
If num_init_children is reached, the subsequent request will be blocked
until any other connections is closed

https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/runtime-config-connection.html#GUC-NUM-INIT-CHILDREN
--
Bo Peng <pengbo at sraoss.co.jp>