[pgpool-general: 8014] Re: connection is not available

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sat Feb 5 09:58:06 JST 2022

> According the documentation for support 3000 child processes Pgpool
> requires 15Gb RAM.
>
> Could you tell are there any experiences with large number of
> num_init_children?

No. Sorry.

> And second question if don't mind.
>
> The application works by 5 services and serves 100 client
> connections. I mean that 100 clients are connected to 5 services (20
> on each).
>
> 5 services connect to database via Pgpool. Connection user in each
> service is the same. Each service works with one database only.
>
> Which variant of configuration parameters would be better -
>
> num_init_children=100 and  max_pool=1 (2)
>
> OR
>
> num_init_children=5 and  max_pool=20

I hardly understand your system configuration. So I cannot tell which
is (or any other) better. Can you clarify from the perspective of
PostgreSQL server? I mean:

1) I assume you have 1 PostgreSQL primary and some number of standby
  servers in streaming replication configuration. They have exactly
  same database cluster. Am I correct?

2) If #1 is correct, how many databases and database users do you
have? My wild guess is each "service" is related to each database. So
you have 5 databases? Number of database users is same as "connection
users"? If so, probably number of database users is 100?