[pgpool-general: 8357] Separate backend(!) network?

Tony Albers tony.albers at gmx.com
Thu Aug 18 21:19:12 JST 2022

Hi guys,

Would it be possible to set up 3 postgresql nodes running pgpool-II so that:
We have two networks:
A, a frontend network(192.168.100.0/24), where clients connect to pgpool-II on port 9999 and get the postgresql service, but nothing else is available on that network.
B, a 'heartbeat' network(192.168.110.0/24), where we do watchdog, pcp, heartbeat and failover.

Could this be done? I thought so, but I seem to have misunderstood the term 'backend_network' in the docs, which seem to refer to postgresql servers _behind_ a pgpool2 cluster, and not a dedicated failover/heartbeat network.

So what I've done is I have 3 nodes, each running PostgreSQL and Pgpool-II, with networks and hostnames like this:
adbtopo01.front  192.168.100.143
adbtopo01.back   192.168.110.143

adbtopo02.front  192.168.100.162
adbtopo02.back   192.168.110.162

adbtopo03.front  192.168.100.197
adbtopo03.back   192.168.110.197

VIP              192.168.100.100

And I'd like clients to connect to the VIP, and heartbeat, watchdog etc. to use the .back hostnames/network.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

--