[pgpool-general: 8070] Re: Advise on reserved_connections

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Apr 5 10:45:22 JST 2022

>> Did you see the process status by using ps command?
>> If the ps output is something like this, the process is actually
>> occupied and cannot accept new connection request.
>>
>> 446425 pts/3    S      0:00 pgpool: t-ishii test  idle
>>
>> The status of the process which can accept new connection should look like this:
>>
>> 446427 pts/3    S      0:00 pgpool: wait for connection request
>
> Most of the processes show "wait for connection request".

I think it's normal. When a client disconnects to pgpool, the pgpool
process becomes "wait for connection request" state. The state of the
process is changed only if the kernel chooses the process to wake it
up and the pgpool succeeds in accepting the connection request when
new connection request arrives from clients. Since only 1 pgpool
process accepts new connection request, other pgpool processes remain
in "wait for connection request". That's the reason why you see
multiple "wait for connection request" state pgpool process.

If you focus on particular pgpool process by using ps command, you
should see it changing the process state as time passes.

Best reagards,