[pgpool-general: 8068] Re: Advise on reserved_connections

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Apr 5 10:01:43 JST 2022

>> I would advise to start with 0. If your system is busy and the
>> connection waiting clients is rapidly increasing, then you may want to
>> try to set to 1 or higher.
>
> Thank you for the advice. I tried setting reserved_connections to 1 and num_init_children to 128 and I found that many clients received messages about no more client connections. However when I looked at the pgpool processes I didn't see all of them busy. Changing reserved_connections back to 0 and leaving num_init_children at 128 seems to be working without issue and I don't see clients blocked waiting for a connection.
> What would cause this behavior?

Did you see the process status by using ps command?
If the ps output is something like this, the process is actually
occupied and cannot accept new connection request.

446425 pts/3    S      0:00 pgpool: t-ishii test  idle

The status of the process which can accept new connection should look like this:

446427 pts/3    S      0:00 pgpool: wait for connection request

Best reagards,