[pgpool-general: 8061] Re: Advise on reserved_connections

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Apr 1 11:54:26 JST 2022

Hi,

> I've read the documentation on reserved_connections and num_init_children. >From what I understand it seems that reserved_connections should always be 0 or 1, there is no point in setting it larger. Is that correct?

Basically correct. But you may want to set it larger than 1 if the
num_init_children is large (like over 1000) to keep safe margin of
available connection slots.

> Is the general advise to leave reserved_connections at 0 so that clients block or to use 1 so that clients know that there are no more connections?

I would advise to start with 0. If your system is busy and the
connection waiting clients is rapidly increasing, then you may want to
try to set to 1 or higher.

Best reagards,