[pgpool-general: 7855] Rejecting database mutations without a quorum

Emond Papegaaij emond.papegaaij at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 00:25:54 JST 2021

Hi,

While running various cluster failover and recovery tests, we came across
an issue that I would like to discuss here. These tests were performed in a
setup with 3 nodes (for simplicity called node 1, 2 and 3). Each node runs
a database, pgpool and an application instance. The application connects to
the local pgpool, which in turn connects to all 3 databases, sending all
queries to the one that is currently primary. Suppose node 1 runs the
primary database. When this node is disconnected from the other 2 nodes via
a simulated network failure, the other nodes establish consensus to perform
a failover and either node 2 or 3 is selected for the new primary. However,
on node 1, the database remains writable and the application and pgpool
running. If the application on this node is still reachable from the load
balancer, it will continue to serve requests, resulting in a split brain
and ultimately database corruption.

For many of our customers this is unwanted behavior. They would rather see
the service become unavailable than continue to operate in a split brain. I
went through the available options on pgpool, but could not find an option
that would help me here. I'm looking for a way to prevent pgpool from
accessing its backends with its watchdog is not part of a quorum. Is this
currently possible in pgpool? If not, is it worth considering adding a
feature for this?

Best regards,
Emond Papegaaij