[pgpool-general: 7574] Re: Resource temporarily unavailable

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri May 14 09:12:45 JST 2021

> It looks like processes responsible for client connections disappear suddenly and new instances cannot be created but restart of pgpool service helps and it works well again some time.
> I have recommendation to set TasksMax to "infinity" or value much higher than num_init_children*max_pool, but i will be able to verify it during service window in next six hours.

Pgpool-II creates num_init_children child process, not
num_init_children*max_pool. I think set num_init_children (+alpha: for
health check process (equal to number of the PostgreSQL servers),
streaming replication check process (if enabled) and some temporary
process for failover/failback/follw primary process) to TaskMax is
enough.

For example if num_init_children = 1000, number of PostgreSQL servers
= 2, health check and streaming replication check is enabled, minimum
requirement to TaskMax would be:

1 (for parent process) + 1000 (child process) + 2 (health check
process) + 1 (streaming replication check process) + 5 (some temporary
process, approximation) = 1009.