[pgpool-general: 7555] Unable to setup LDAP client authentication using Pgpool-II

Vipin Madhusoodanan vipin.madhusoodanan at gmail.com
Sat May 8 06:46:54 JST 2021

Hi Team,

I am not able to authenticate via LDAP client authentication. LDAP
authentication is working fine with out pgpool , following are
the pgpool.conf client authentication and pool_hba.conf configuration
details. I have compiled the pgpool source code using Open-LDAP. I am
receiving the following error while connecting to database via pgpool.

psql -h *****: -p **** -U ***** postgres
Password for user *****:
psql: ERROR: failed to authenticate with backend using md5
DETAIL: valid password not found

*Platform* : Linux

*OS*: RHEL 8.3

*Pgpool-II version* : 4.2.2

*pool_hba.conf entry*

host
all all *.*.*.*/* ldap ldapserver==**** ldapport=****
ldapbasedn="dc==****,dc==****,dc
==****" ldapbinddn="cn==****,ou=Service Accounts,ou=Resource
Accounts,dc==****,dc==****,dc==****" ldapbindpasswd="=****"
ldapsearchattrib
ute="sAMAccountName"

*pgpool.conf - Authentication section*

# - Authentication -

enable_pool_hba = on
                                   # Use pool_hba.conf for client
authentication
pool_passwd = ''
                                   # File name of pool_passwd for md5
authentication.
                                   # "" disables pool_passwd.
                                   # (change requires restart)
authentication_timeout = 1min
                                   # Delay in seconds to complete client
authentication
                                   # 0 means no timeout.

allow_clear_text_frontend_auth = on
                                   # Allow Pgpool-II to use clear text
password authentication
                                   # with clients, when pool_passwd does not
                                   # contain the user password

Thank you,

Vipin