[pgpool-general: 7409] What "pool" means in Pgpool-II

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Feb 2 12:06:30 JST 2021

Hi Pgpool-II users,

It has been thought that the meaning of "pool" of "Pgpool" is coming
from "connection pooling". However as Pgpool-II has evolved, Pgpool-II
is not only a simple connection pool software anymore. It has
automatic failover, load balancing, watchdog and more: now Pgpool-II
is effectively a PostgreSQL cluster management software.

So I decided to redefine the meaning of "pool" to be "pool of
PostgreSQL servers". In this direction I have updated the intro
chapter of PostgreSQL manual for the next release (Pgpool-II 4.3).

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpool2.git;a=commit;h=ecd4b04a4e7664c04675bd22b7e02c79d02d3611

An HTML compiled version of the chapter can be viewed here:
https://tatsuo-ishii.github.io/pgpool-II/current/intro-whatis.html

I hope this change gives people more appropriate view of this
software.