[pgpool-general: 7937] Pgpool does not accept new connections

ehansmair at prompt-software.de ehansmair at prompt-software.de
Thu Dec 16 02:48:41 JST 2021

Hello,

we have the problem, that Pgpool does not accept new connections when some
longer running SQLs are on their way.

We are using Pgpool 4.2.5 till now only for automated fail over and online
recovery - connection pooling, load balancing, in memory query cache are
switched off. PostgreSQL streaming replication is used.

We can provoke the effect with a SQL like

        select field_a, field_b, pg_sleep(120)
          from table_a
          where field_a = 12345

The statement simulates long running statements we are using.

When we start the above statement 3 times or more with a delay of 1 second
 Pgpool does not accept new connections for some minutes. We do not get an
error message or time out. Direct connections to Postgres are as fast as
always.

The effect exists in a 2-node cluster and in a degenerated, single machine
cluster too.

Any help is welcome.

Sincerely Yours

Ernst Hansmair