[pgpool-general: 7511] Re: Possible pgpool 4.1.4 failover auto_failback race condition

Nathan Ward lists+pgpool at daork.net
Sun Apr 18 17:00:32 JST 2021

Hi,

follow_master_command for backend 2 is not executed, because backend 2 auto_failback happens while node 0 follow_master_command is running.

Note that if backend 0 follow_master_command runs quickly then this doesn’t happen.

It happens in my case, because backend 0 is not reachable, so ssh times out. I have the ssh login timeout set to 3s (default is 30s), which is enough time for auto_failback to detect that backend 2 is reachable.
If I test the failure by stopping postgres, or by setting iptables to reject connections rather than dropping packets, then backend 0 follow_master_command returns error immediately and follow_master_command for backend 1 can run before auto_failback brings it back online.

I think that we probably want a failover to block auto_failback. I recall that auto_failback is scheduled only if in_transition (or something like that) is false - perhaps that flag is not being set, or it is being cleared? I’m not sure, I don’t know the code well enough and I’m working from my memory.. I almost certainly have the name (in_transition) incorrect, as I say, I’m working from memory.. I will check the code later.