[pgpool-general: 7105] Re: pgpool connect with "replication=database" → no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Jun 26 21:08:57 JST 2020

> Hi group,
>
> thanks for the warm welcome, I hope you all are healthy!
>
> After setting up a pgpool→postgres connection to a remote server I
> try to connect:
>
> axel at pgpoolclient:~$ psql -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -W
> Password:
> DEBUG:  pool_write: to frontend: kind:N po:0
> DEBUG:  initializing session context
> DETAIL:  selected load balancing node: 0
> psql (12.3 (Ubuntu 12.3-1.pgdg18.04+1), server 12.2)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# \q
>
> So far, so good. The goal is to *replicate data* from this instance
> and I try to connect with:
>
> axel at pgpoolclient:~$ psql -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -W
> "replication=database"
> Password:
> psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:*no PostgreSQL user
> name specified in startup packet*
>
> The steps from the installation and a debug log of pgpool is
> attached. I don't think it's really the missing username, I think
> about an unneccessary test in this case.

You are right. It turned out that Pgpool-II fails to find username in
this case. After fix this, I am able to connect to Pgpool-II using
"replication=database" parameter.

t-ishii$ psql -p 11000 "replication=database"
psql (12.2)
Type "help" for help.

t-ishii=# IDENTIFY_SYSTEM;
      systemid       | timeline |  xlogpos   | dbname
 6835491842532872167 |        1 | 0/8C0000D8 | t-ishii
(1 row)

Patch attached.