[pgpool-general: 7069] Re: Compatibility matrix

Bo Peng pengbo at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Jun 4 16:49:49 JST 2020

Hello,

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 20:48:24 +0530
Praveen Kumar K S <praveenssit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Where can I get pgpool compatibility matrix please ? Like which version of
> pgpool supports which versions of postgres ?

Currently there is no such compatibility matrix.

RPMs are combined with each PostgreSQL version
because PostgreSQL rpm uses different installation directory,
and Pgpool-II needs to adapt them.

If you build Pgpool-II from source code, you could combine it with any
release of PostgreSQL.

However, Pgpool-II is theoretically compatible with any
release of PostgreSQL except particular features that require specific
PostgreSQL versions.

For example,

(1) Streaming replication mode can only be used with PostgreSQL 9.0 or later with obvious reasons.
(2) Old verion pgpool can old parser PostgreSQL new parser.

    PostgrSQL 12  new parser -> Pgpool-II 4.1
    PostgrSQL 11  new parser -> Pgpool-II 4.0
    PostgrSQL 10  new parser -> Pgpool-II 3.7
    PostgrSQL 9.6 new parser -> Pgpool-II 3.6
    PostgrSQL 9.5 new parser -> Pgpool-II 3.5

    For example, Pgpool-II 4.0 can't parse PostgreSQL 12' new parser.

--
Bo Peng <pengbo at sraoss.co.jp>