[pgpool-general: 7152] Re: Long wait time when stopping Pgpool

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Jul 17 07:19:14 JST 2020

First of all, you are asking questions about propriety
packages. Please ask questions regarding propriety products to the
vendor.

> Hi Team,
>
> I am testing pgpool for my workload.We have three nodes of pgpool used as a
> load balancer and connection pooler across three nodes of database servers.
>
> All application connections to the database are through the pgpool. Without
> stopping the application, if we want to stop the pgpool using "systemctl
> stop edb-pgpool-4.0" then it takes a long time because connections are
> still coming to the pgpool. Pgpool is stopped only after no new connections
> appear + existing connections are terminated.
>
> Even after Pgpool is stopped, I can see that files(.s.PGSQL.9898 and
> .s.PGSQL.9999) under socket_dir which in our case is /tmp are not removed.
> This does not allow the pgpool to start using  "systemctl start
> edb-pgpool-4.0". We have to manually remove the files under /tmp and then
> start pgpool.
>
> I have two questions:
> 1. Before stopping pgpool, how can we prevent new connections from coming
> into pgpool without stopping the application and terminate the
> existing connections so that the stop command does not wait.

As other people already pointed out, there's an option to stop pgpool
without waiting for clients disconnected to pgpool. Probably you can
set the option to tweak systemectl related files. The way to do it
depends how the package is created, which we don't know. If you are
not sure, ask the vendor.

> 2. After stopping pgpool, why are files under /tmp not removed?

Because systemd kill -9 pgpool to not give a chance to remove the
socket files.

> PS:Files are removed from /tmp if there are no connections via pgpool(this
> will never be the case in production environment)

Because if there's no connection from clients, pgpool can remove the
socket files before systemd kills pgpool.