[pgpool-general: 6827] Using standby pgpool instances

Frodo Looijaard frodo at frodo.looijaard.name
Mon Jan 27 21:33:25 JST 2020

Hello,

I am wondering whether we need a floating IP when using multiple pgpool
instances with the watchdog (pgpool-II-4.1.0).

It seems you can just connect with a non-master pgpool instance.

Can we expect trouble when we connect to a non-master pgpool node? Can we
expect trouble when some connections use the master node and others at the
same time use a non-master node, accessing the same Postgres database?

If this can safely be done, we would not need a floating IP; it would
suffice to add all pgpool-nodes as alternatives to a JDBC-URL.

If this is not safe, would it not be a nice feature to (perhaps optionally)
disable connections to non-master pgpool nodes?

Thanks for your time,
  Frodo Looijaard