[pgpool-general: 7206] Re: Query regarding failover and recovery

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Aug 19 13:52:25 JST 2020

> I have 3 servers with two postgres (9.6) and one pgpool (4.0.9). Postgres
> is configured with streaming replication.
> When I manually stop postgres service on primary node, failover has
> happened successfully.
> Now I started postgres service on old primary node which is expected to be
> converted as slave, pgpool is not triggering recovery_1st_stage_command =
> 'recovery_1st_stage.sh'
> May I know what could be the reason ?

That is an expected behavior. The node previously brought down is left
as "down" by pgoool. This is intentional. You need to issue
pcp_recovery_node against the node (previous primary node in your
case) to make it online again.

When a node is brought down, there might be a reason: for example
needed to repair the hardware. So in general it's not safe to
automatically restart the previously down node.