[pgpool-general: 6704] Re: pgpool 3.4 becomes unresponsive under load

Pierre Timmermans ptim007 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 03:55:09 JST 2019

Hi Kirstine
Something very confusing about pgpool is that when there is not enought child process available (i.e.  there is no connection in the pool available for a new request) it does not give an error, it just queue the connection request and there is nothing in the log. Furthermore the relation max_pool and num_init_children is not very clear and hard to understand unless you are in the easy case with a limited number of schema.
So increasing num_init_children might indeed be the solution, especially if you see that your 40 child process are used.
Pierre