[pgpool-general: 6740] pgpool failover issue

xiebin (F) xiebin18 at huawei.com
Sat Oct 19 11:45:14 JST 2019

Hi,
I was using pgpool4.0.6 + postgres10.5 to implement database HA. And it is accessed frequently by my Java Application (let’s call it appJ).
Here is my problem:
I assumed pgpool shall detect the database error, promote standby so that the user/application could not even sense the error. When I shutdown the primary, the standby is promoted immediately. New connections can be established. Everything seems work fine. But appJ log shows that SQLException occurred. SQLs supposed to be done are discarded.
I tried both master-slave mode (master_slave_mode = on, master_slave_sub_mode = stream, relication_mode = off) and
replication mode (maste_slave_mode = off, replication_mode = on). The problem is not solved.
Is there any way to solve it (with out improve appJ code)?
By the way, I find pgpool running modes quite confusing.
https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/configuring-pgpool.html
https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/runtime-config-running-mode.html
especially stream replication mode, replication mode, master-slave mode. What are connections and differences?
Thanks,
Xie Bin