[pgpool-general: 6738] Re: Request Suggestion to close pgpool idle session after 5 minutes

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Oct 18 08:09:54 JST 2019

First of all, please do not cross post your message. Your question is
not related to Pgpool-II development/hacking, so please post to
pgpool-general only. (I removed reply to pgpool-hackers).

> Hi Team,
>
> Good Evening.
>
> Could you please help me the  configure to close the pgpool idle
> connections.
>
> I have got requirement to close the pgpool idle connections after reaching
> 5 minutes.
>
> I gather all Lift Time Parameters.
>
> child_life_time (integer)
> client_idle_limit (integer)
> child_max_connections (integer)
> connection_life_time (integer)
>
> I have tried with  child_life_time (integer)  to 5 minutes, but it is
> closing the idle connections after 5 minutes, but as per the doc "Specifies
> the time in seconds to terminate a Pgpool-II child process if it remains
> idle.".

Connection pooling is implemented as socket connections to backend in
pgpool process. If a pgpool process exits because of child_life_time
expires, the connections to backend are terminated as well.

> Please suggest the combinations to solve this problem.

For your pupose you should use connection_life_time. This will close
idle connections without terminating pgpool process. This means new
pgpool process is not needed to start, which saves system resource.