[pgpool-general: 6730] Re: Watchdog problem - crashed standby not being detected?

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 15:55:43 JST 2019

Hi Martin,

Pgpool-II watchdog relies on 2 mechanisms to detect node failure. one when
it is informed by the heartbeat (lifecheck)
process and second by itself when it's core fails to receive/send the data
to a particular node.

Now while working on another watchdog related bug I found an issue in the
mechanism that
sends the periodic status updates from standby to the master node for
detecting the failure. And that could
delay the detection of standby node failure by the watchdog core in case of
a standby crash.
So I have already created a patch for that and I will be committing it in a
day or two.

But even without that fix, this issue shouldn't have happened and the
lifecheck should have detected the absence of heartbeat
messages from the crashed node. So this part I still need to figure out
that what could have caused the lifecheck process to
think the (crash) node is still alive and active. And if you happen to have
the pgpool logs for the scenario that would help in debugging the
cause.

Thanks
Best regards
Muhammad Usama