[pgpool-general: 6572] Re: Pgpool query

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri May 24 15:22:33 JST 2019

>> Ok. So the reason behind the ask was if pgpool is not going to retry the
> promote on other nodes, I was thinking i can just trigger a force promote
> there by failover and follow master will be run by pgpool itself and i dont
> have to do a failover by myself and run pcp_recovery on all the nodes

Probably you misunderstand what Pgpool-II is expected to do. Pgpool-II
does nothing with PostgreSQL promotion. It's completely the script
writer's responsibility to handle the promotion retrying if
neccessary.

> Regarding 5. It's normal. Don't worry.
>
> When a standby PostgreSQL node is added, existing connections to
> Pgpool-II are kept (thus do not use the new standby for load
> balacing). After the session ends, Pgpool-II child process checks
> whether the failback has happend. If happend, exits itself so that new
> process is spwan to reflect the fact that new standby node has been
> added (thus it can use the new standby for load balancing).
>

>> Thanks. Per my understanding, So restart happens only when a new standby
> is added is it. Because i see this frequent restarts happening even when
> there is no fallback.

The failbacke event detection could happen long after the failback
happend if a user keeps on connection to Pgpool-II.

> Also could you please share some light on when the failback_command gets
> executed? I have never seen the command being called.

It is called when pcp_attach_node or pcp_recovery_node get
executed. Also it could happen when follow_master_command gets
executed if it executes pcp_recovery_node inside the command.