[pgpool-general: 6591] PostgreSQL10, PgPool-II 4.0.5 geographically distributed

Giorgio Perotto g.perotto at outlook.it
Tue Jun 11 19:14:36 JST 2019

Hi,
I try to speed up our application by moving READ-ONLY PostgreSQL replica near our Far East office.

The idea is to keep RW PostgreSQL database in Europe and a READ-ONLY PostgreSQL replica (streaming) in Far East; then create a pgpool in Far East  that write only in Europe (few big write) and read (many little read) on Far East database, and create a new application server Far East.

I created a test environment, it works fine but is very slow. It seems that pgpool route statements correctly (RW to Europe, and READ to Far East) but there are many query to pg_catalog (RW) that seem to slow down the application server.

This is an example;
SELECT count(*) FROM pg_catalog.pg_class AS c WHERE c.oid = pg_catalog.to_regclass('"XXX"."YYYY"') AND c.relpersistence = 'u'

Can someone suggest how to go on?

Thanks.