[pgpool-general: 6665] active/active with Consul service

Matthew Tice mjtice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 04:29:46 JST 2019

Hi,
I have a two node pgpool setup running v.4.0.5 on CentOS 7.  I'm using a
Consul (consul.io) service health check to create a pgpool service.  Going
down this road I'm able to have two pgpool nodes available for use:

e.g.
host pgpool.service.consul
pgpool.service.consul has address 10.20.6.23
pgpool.service.consul has address 10.20.6.24

My question is, is this a bad idea?  I figure that once a connection to
pgpool is made by an application it's "pinned" to that node - meaning
unless the application disconnects and reconnects it will be connected to
that same host indefinitely.

Unless I'm missing something where client metadata is written to pgpool, I
can't see a downside to this (which is why I'm asking for
clarification/opinions).  I was going to go down the watchdog road but in
reading the documentation I need 3+ nodes, not just the two I have
available.

Matt.