[pgpool-general: 6519] Re: Compatibility matrix between Pgpool releases and Postgresql releases

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Apr 24 07:33:00 JST 2019

> Hello.
>
> Is there any compatibility matrix between Pgpool releases and Postgresql
> releases?

Currently no. However, Pgpool-II is theoretically compatible with any
release of PostgreSQL except particular features that require specific
PostgreSQL versions. For example, streaming replication mode can only
be used with PostgreSQL 9.0 or later with obvious reasons.

If you build Pgpool-II from source code, you could combine it with any
release of PostgreSQL.

> I am using Linux Centos with Pgpool rpms. If I want to know if a Pgpool
> release is compatible with Postgresql 11, then I am checking file name of
> rpm. I know it is not a very nice method. Examples:

Pgpool-II RPM's "compatibility with PostgreSQL" does not necessarily
mean particular version of Pgpool-II is only suitable for particular
version of PostgreSQL. The reason why Pgpool-II RPMs are combined with
each PostgreSQL version is PostgreSQL rpm uses different installation
directory, and Pgpool-II needs to adapt them.

> Pgpool 3.4.21
> http://www.pgpool.net/yum/rpms/3.4/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgpool-II-pg11-3.4.21-1pgdg.rhel6.x86_64.rpm
> is compatible with Postgresql 11, because file name contains "pg11".
>
> Pgpool 4.0.4
> http://www.pgpool.net/yum/rpms/4.0/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgpool-II-pg11-4.0.4-1pgdg.rhel6.x86_64.rpm
> is compatible with Postgresql 11, because file name contains "pg11".
>
> On http://www.pgpool.net/yum/rpms/3.3/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/ there is no
> file with name like "pg11". Then, I think that Pgpool 3.3 is not compatible
> with Postgresql 11.

No. Real reason is, Pgpool-II 3.3 was EOLed before PostgreSQL 11 was
released.

See https://pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/Source_code_repository for
details of our EOL policy.