[pgpool-general: 6504] Configuring PGPool with MD5 Authentication Issue

Shereef Sakr shereef.sakr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 04:14:53 JST 2019

Dears

I'm facing an issue when configuring PGPool to require MD5 Authentication,
as well as communicate with MD5 authentication to backend postgres
databases.

I currently face the following error in pgpool logs

LOG:  find_primary_node: checking backend no 0
ERROR:  failed to authenticate
DETAIL:  invalid authentication message response type, Expecting 'R' and
received 'E'

*PG Pool hba configuration:*

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5
local   all         all                               md5
#local all        all             0.0.0.0/0        md5
host    all        all             0.0.0.0/0        md5

*Used the following command for pool_passwd confgiuration*

pg_md5 --md5auth --username=myusername mypassword

 i found that according to the matrix in this link, i have to configure MD5
authentication in postgres
https://pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/FAQ#I_created_pool_hba.conf_and_pool_passwd_to_enable_md5_authentication_through_pgpool-II_but_it_does_not_work._Why.3F

*I use the following configuration too for pg hba*

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

local   all             all                                     md5
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             0.0.0.0/0               md5
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
host    replication     all             0.0.0.0/0               trust

*and after this i faced the error above.*

*What could be the reason for this?*

*Knowing that i'm using*

*PG Pool *3.5.17
*Postgres 9.3*

I used the following links as my references:

https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/auth-methods.html
https://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/runtime-config-connection.html#GUC-POOL-PASSWD

--
Shereef Sakr