[pgpool-general: 5993] Re: When pgpool on primary node dies

Pierre Timmermans ptim007 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 04:08:08 JST 2018

If you set-up the two pgpool nodes in watch-dog mode then yes, the surviving pgpool node will detect when the other node is stopped (via a heartbeat mechanism).
In watchdog mode each pgpool node knows about all the others, one of them is elected as primary. The primary pgpool node acquires the VIP (virtual IP aka delegate_ip in pgpool names).  So this is really about making pgpool itself highly available, not to be confused with postgres replication.
The pgpool instances can be on the same servers as postgres or they can be on other servers.
Pierre