[pgpool-general: 6158] Re: Pgpool-II version advices.

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sat Jul 7 11:48:26 JST 2018

From: Thomas Martin <tmartincpp at gmail.com>
Subject: [pgpool-general: 6157] Pgpool-II version advices.
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 11:37:29 +0200

> Hello,
>
> We are going to migrate from to Pgpool-II 3.2 to a newer release.
>
> Do you have any version to recommend for PostgreSQL 9.4 and 9.6 ?
>
> Should I go for Pgpool-II 3.7 directly or should I stay with 3.4 and 3.6 ?

I do not recommend 3.4 because it will be EOLed in November 2019.

If you are going to use PostgreSQL 9.6, I recommend Pgpool-II 3.6 or
3.7 because those Pgpool-II' SQL parser is compatible with PostgreSQL
9.6.  Each Pgpool-II version borrows the latest PostgreSQL parser
module at the time when the Pgpool-II version was developed (sometimes
the work is skipped though:-). So here is the chart of each Pgpool-II
version and PostgreSQL parser version.

Pgpool-II version	PostgreSQL parser version
Pgpool-II 3.2		PostgreSQL 9.0
Pgpool-II 3.3		PostgreSQL 9.2
Pgpool-II 3.4		PostgreSQL 9.4
Pgpool-II 3.5		PostgreSQL 9.5
Pgpool-II 3.6		PostgreSQL 9.6
Pgpool-II 3.7		PostgreSQL 10

You can go directly to 3.7 but if you are using watchdog, the
functionality of watchdog is far enhanced in 3.7 comparing with 3.2,
so be sure to take time to learn 3.7's watchdog.