[pgpool-general: 5921] Re: Any alternative ideas to using pool_passwd for MD5 authentication

Pierre Timmermans ptim007 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 05:21:06 JST 2018

Hi,
I run pgpool in docker and so I regenerate all files (pgpool config file, pool_pwd, the status file /tmp/pgpool_status) when the container starts (it is a best practice in docker because the normal workflow is to remove the container when it is stopped and to not use host mounted directories especially when in a swarm context)
So in the entrypoint of my container I have this code snippet to generate the file from the database. The variable DBHOST is computed before earlyer in the script
That's the logic in shell:
echo "Generate pool_passwd file from ${DBHOST}"
touch ${CONFIG_DIR}/pool_passwd

ssh -p 222 postgres@${DBHOST} "psql -c \"select rolname,rolpassword from pg_authid;\"" | awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"}{print $1" "$2}' | grep md5 | while read f1 f2

do

 # delete the line and recreate it

 echo "setting passwd of $f1 in ${CONFIG_DIR}/pool_passwd"

 sed -i -e "/^${f1}:/d" ${CONFIG_DIR}/pool_passwd

 echo $f1:$f2 >> ${CONFIG_DIR}/pool_passwd

done
My Docker file is here: https://github.com/saule1508/pgcluster/tree/develop/pgpool

Pierre