[pgpool-general: 6065] Too many connections to Pgpool-II

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sun Apr 29 17:55:28 JST 2018

Currently Pgpool-II blocks connections from clients if
num_init_children child process are already busy until a client
disconnects to Pgpool-II. Some people dislike this behavior and wish
Pgpool-II behave like PostgreSQL: e.g. if too many connections to
PostgreSQL servers are coming, it returns a famous error message
"sorry, too many clients already" and refuses to accept the connection
request.

So I am thinking about inventing a new switch to let Pgpool-II behave
like PostgreSQL: instead of blocking, returns an error if too many
connection requests are coming from clients.

My question is, is this worth to implement?