[pgpool-general: 6035] Re: Performance

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sat Apr 7 14:19:47 JST 2018

> I have an import of „core-data“ of a shop system where an application runs some selects and inserts and so. Those are always the same queries.
> I have run the import several times and I have those timings:
>
> pgpool ---------- 1570.22s
> master ----------- 166.18s
> pgpool ---------- 2295.56s
> pgpool ---------- 2014.09s
> master ----------- 129.94s
>
> So if I run the queries agains Pgpool it is more than 10x as I would run against Master.

I have run pgbench against pgpool and master. Here are the results:

pgpool:

$ pgpool --version
pgpool-II version 3.7.2 (amefuriboshi)
$ pgbench -c 10 -T 300 -p 11000 test
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
scaling factor: 1
query mode: simple
number of clients: 10
number of threads: 1
duration: 300 s
number of transactions actually processed: 59781
latency average = 50.194 ms

master:
$ pgbench -c 10 -T 300 -p 11002 test
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
scaling factor: 1
query mode: simple
number of clients: 10
number of threads: 1
duration: 300 s
number of transactions actually processed: 67768
latency average = 44.280 ms

"tps" = transactions per second. So the nuber larger, the better.
1 - 199.231150/225.838017 = 0.1179

So pgpool is 11.79% slower than master here.

Pgpool-II's performance is depending how the test was performed like
other software. If you could provid more details, maybe I could find a
cause of the difference (a self contaied test case is ideal).