[pgpool-general: 6024] Re: Streaming Replication Check

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Apr 5 19:47:48 JST 2018

> Hi there,
>
> maybe someone can help me to understand how “Streaming Replication Check” is working.
>
> Is it checking replication lag by using pg_last_xlog_receive_location() and pg_last_xlog_replay_location() ??
> Am I right that those check should not be dependent from database I use?

Right.

> If it is like that why I need “sr_check_database”?

Because Pgpool-II needs a database to connect to. You could assign any
database to sr_check_database whatever you like (postgres,
template1...) as long as Pgpool-II is allowed to connect to.

> Also why “delay_threshold” cannot be 0? Why 0 is disabling it?
>
> The reason I ask is that a customer has problem with inserting something and “directly” read the insert and don’t get the correct answer – maybe because it is not synced and loadbalancing is forwarding to slave?!

If I understand you customer's problem correctly, he/she needs a
standby server which lags 0 from primary server. The only way to
achieve this is let PostgreSQL servers run in synchronous replication
mode with "remote_apply" (i.e. synchronous_commit = remote_apply)

Replication delay = 0 just means transaction log's LSN is sync with
the primary, which does not necessarily mean your customer reads
the latest data. For that the transaction must be applied to
database. synchronous_commit = remote_apply does the trick.

The price is performance.