[pgpool-general: 5714] Re: PGpool Configuration

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Sep 7 12:54:36 JST 2017

>>From the above setup we are trying hit the concurrent users of 4k... But at
> some point of time PGpool load got increased and memory is fully occupied
> even if i increase the Memory full memory got occupied. This resulting
> requests slow down and request per second throughput and failures.

Sounds like an old problem in Pgpool-II 3.6.2. You should upgrade to
the latest version: 3.6.6.

> But without PGpool directly connecting to Master works fine without errors
> and much better throughput.
>
> We would like to scale 20k concurrent users with PGPool setup. We would
> like to know whether PGpool is enterprise standard to work on.. Else we
> have to look for other solutions.

But that requires PostgreSQL to accept 20k concurrent connections or
40k connections (num_init_children * max_pool), which I have never
seen in the field. Probably you should test out with PostgreSQL
whether it works with 20k concurrent connections first.