[pgpool-general: 5592] Re: Fwd: insanely slow first query, then normal speed

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Jun 26 10:17:40 JST 2017

> I did not have log_hostname on and i've explicitly set it to be off, but it
> is no help.
>
> The pgpool server (on the same machine, on the ip) is still slow to connect
> to (~10 seconds).. with the first request taking a really long time.
> - i am connecting by ip address only
>
> If i connect directly to postgresql, it is fast - the expected speed.
>
> Has anyone else experienced slow connections through pgpool?

I recommend to use strace. For this purpose you set num_init_children
= 1 in pgpool.conf and start Pgpool-II. Then find a process using ps
command which shows something like:

13883 pts/22   S      0:00 pgpool: wait for connection request

Then use strace:

strace -p 13883 -r

This will show the duration of each system call. Maybe you could find
a system which takes so long time, which give you an idea.