[pgpool-general: 5227] Re: Questionable Failover

Muhammad Usama m.usama at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:27:45 JST 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Yates, James C. -ND <
James.C.Yates.-ND at disney.com> wrote:

> I was not expecting that behavior from PgPool.  I was under the impression
> that a failover would not occur unless the primary/master server had
> issues.

The failover is not limited to the primary/master backend nodes only. But
each backend node can be individually configured to allow or disallow the
failover in case of a backend error (using backend_flag config), and the
tolerance level in case of connectivity issue with backend nodes is also
configurable using the Pgpool-II health check configurations
<http://www.pgpool.net/docs/pgpool-II-3.6.1/doc/en/html/runtime-config-health-check.html>
.

Also the user provided script (failover_command
<http://www.pgpool.net/docs/pgpool-II-3.6.1/doc/en/html/runtime-config-failover.html>)
is executed by the Pgpool-II at the time of failover, that is passed with
all the information of the master/primary node and the failing node. So in
the failover script a user can decide not to take any action when the
standby node failover is performed if that is intended.

I also want to mention about the enhancement made in the Pgpool-II version
3.6, now in the case of standby node failover the sessions not using the
failed standby node remains unaffected by failover.

Thanks
Best regards