[pgpool-general: 5208] Re: Question about document generation dependencies

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Jan 3 08:33:28 JST 2017

> Hello,
>
> I am becoming more familiar with building pgpool2 source code, and I had a
> question about building the documentation.
>
> When looking at doc/Makefile.in, I can see that a few dependencies are
> needed: namely, openjade, docbook(various), and libxslt.  Even with those
> installed, I am still having a few issues compiling the documents, and I
> suspect that my build toolchain is still missing a few items.

configure should detect missing components that are necessary for
building docs. Did you see such a report in running configure?

> I was
> wondering if these dependencies are documented.  I have checked in two
> places that I thought might have the answers, but had no luck:
> https://github.com/pgpool/pgpool2/blob/master/doc/pgpool-en.html

This is obsoleted in 3.6 or later.

> and
> https://github.com/pgpool/pgpool2/blob/master/src/pgpool.spec

No.

> Is the required toolchain for generating documentation available somewhere
> (maybe I am looking in the wrong place)?

Unfortunately that kind of document does not exist yet (I wish I could
have that someday). However you can refer to the PostgreSQL document
section which describes how to build SGML docs.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/docguide-toolsets.html

Pgpool-II's document build system was ported from PostgreSQL. Hope
this helps.