[pgpool-general: 4994] Re: pgpool handling of User through pool password

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Sep 14 08:05:09 JST 2016

> Hi Tatsuo,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Could you please point us to the code base so that we can have a look ?

Assuming you are familiar with PostgreSQL's frontend/backend protocol,
I think you need to handle the case like this:

1) ALTER ROLE/ALTER USER query is accepted mainly in SimpleQuery() if
   the protocol is "simple" on.

2) ALTER USER query is accepted mainly in Parse/Bind/Execute() if the
   protocol is "extended" one.

3) You need to wait until PostgreSQL returns "Command Complete"
   message which indicates the command succeeded.

4) In addition to #3, if the command is executed within an explicit
   transaction, you need to wait until the transaction committed.

5) You need to take care of CREAE ROLE/USER and DROP ROLE/USER as
   well.

I'm not sure that I do not miss anything but those are surely
necessary things.

BTW, if PostgreSQL supports event trigger for those SQL, things will
be much easier...

> Also is it possible to create a PR for the same and get it part of the same Pgpool-II source code and release?

If your patch is good, we are looking forward to accepting it.