[pgpool-general: 5117] Error messages - Connection Reset by peer.

Yates, James C. -ND James.C.Yates.-ND at disney.com
Fri Nov 11 10:06:45 JST 2016

I’m getting these messages on a regular basis.  My application also thinks the connection to the database was dropped when I get the Connection Reset error.  I get more of the Connection Reset than the EOF encountered.   The database thinks these are normal disconnections with no errors.    I’m seeing this on all 3 of my PgPool servers running the same versions.

Versions:
PgPool  3.5.0
Postgres 9.4.4
OS  Redhat EL 6

2016-11-09 08:48:25: Pid: 31749 Db: dbaas User: dbaas ERROR:  unable to read data from frontend
2016-11-09 08:48:25: Pid: 31749 Db: dbaas User: dbaas DETAIL:  socket read failed with an error "Connection reset by peer"
--
2016-11-09 09:45:08: Pid: 31736 Db: pcm_auditor_qa User: pcm_auditor_qa ERROR:  unable to read data from frontend
2016-11-09 09:45:08: Pid: 31736 Db: pcm_auditor_qa User: pcm_auditor_qa DETAIL:  EOF encountered with fronted

PgPool.conf  Extract:

# - Pool size -

num_init_children = 32
                                 # Number of pools
                                 # (change requires restart)
max_pool = 4
                                 # Number of connections per pool
                                 # (change requires restart)

# - Life time -

serialize_accept = on
child_life_time = 0
                                 # Pool exits after being idle for this many seconds
child_max_connections = 128
                                 # Pool exits after receiving that many connections
                                 # 0 means no exit
connection_life_time = 0
                                 # Connection to backend closes after being idle for this many seconds
                                 # 0 means no close
client_idle_limit = 0
                                 # Client is disconnected after being idle for that many seconds
                                 # (even inside an explicit transactions!)
                                 # 0 means no disconnection