[pgpool-general: 4707] Re: Pgpool and postgis

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Thu May 26 18:29:37 JST 2016

> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating a pgpool cluster with 2 nodes as a substitute for the single
> postgresql instance we are using now.
>
>>From an application perspective, my main concern is postgis. We are
> extensively using postgis in our applications. As I understood pgpool will
> transparently handle any pgsql write instruction like insert or update, but
> how are statements like AddGeometryColumn handled? Do I need to put every
> "write" statement in the black_function_list?

Basically yes. Recently Usama eliminated the space limitation of the
memory area for black_function_list and you can register as many as
function names you like.

Usama, do you have any suggestion for this?

> As a side note, we have been provided with 2 db nodes with the same size as
> our singel instance, but the two watchdog machines are 2 cores instances
> with only 1G or ram, is this enough to run the watchdog smoothly? We have
> around 1K IOPS.

Pgpool (and watchdog) does not consume too much CPU and memory and
usually the resource you are given should be enough to handle the
load. I think network device performance is rather important, since
pgpool needs to handle lots of network traffics.