[pgpool-general: 4784] Re: Changing pgpool version if upgrade postgresql version

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Jul 13 07:48:10 JST 2016

> Hello.
>
> If I upgrade Postgresql version (for example from 9.3 to 9.5), then, should
> I upgrade Pgpool vresion (for example from package pgpool-II-pg93 to
> package pgpool-II-pg95)?

If you do not upgrade pgpool version, there would be few concerns:

1) older pgpool-II extensions may be loaded, because PostgreSQL
   package's extension directory might be changed from PostgreSQL
   version to version

2) older libpq may be loaded, because PostgreSQL package's extension
   directory might be changed from PostgreSQL version to version

Probably #2 is harmless because libpq API is compatible between 9.3
and 9.5.

> And other question. I can install and run multiple versions of Postgresql
> on the same server. They are installing in different path and using
> differents listen ports. Is it possible install and run multiple versions
> of Pgpool?

With yum packages, no, because pgpool-II binaries are installed into
the same place.