[pgpool-general: 4305] Re: Very slow write performance on write queries only

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Fri Jan 8 07:52:31 JST 2016

Assuming that you do not run out CPU on the machine where pgpool is
running on, extended protocol (which is mainly used in Java
applications) is slow with pgpool-II. Upcoming 3.5 will enhance this
area. The 3.5 beta is already out, and you could try it out if you
like.

>    Hello,
>   We're experiencing very slow write performance while using pgpool with 3 backend postgres nodes. We noticed it now that we have an import job running trough tomcat that imports millions of rows in the database using insert and update statements.
>   When running without pgpool the time for completion of the import is literally 10 times less. (e.g 20 minutes instead of more than 3 hours).  I know there is some overhead, but it's cited to be around 20%.
>   Could someone please assist in tuning the write performance of the installation.
>   Latest stable version of pgpool 3.4.3-1
>   Here is the config:
[snip because of a too long line]