[pgpool-general: 4279] Is Master/Slave promotion supported or not?

Steven Livingstone steven at livz.org
Fri Jan 1 02:33:33 JST 2016

Hi all. I am slightly confused. I seem to have read two relatively recent,
but possibly contradictory statements on master/slave (using SR) promotion
using pgpool.

The first at [1] states "pcp_promote_node just changes the status in
pgpool-II and does nothing with PostgreSQL server side."

The second at [2] states "HOW TO PROMOTE THE SLAVE. This will happen
automatically with pgpool. The manual process is described here for good
measure but we should not have to use it."

On one hand in [1] I am reading that only *within* PGPool do you see the
master/slave promotion happening (which is indeed something i see when i
run show pool_nodes) with no promotion of the actual Postgres slave.

However the blog at [2] suggests it all happens as part of the PGPool
process and your Postgres Slave will become the new Master automatically
(although to put back the original master is clearly a manual process).

Can someone clear this up please :-) I really just want the Slave to become
the new Master and PGPool knows this but the backend servers don't and I'm
slightly at a loss as how to tell them. Maybe I am missing a config setting.

Much Appreciated,
steven

[1] http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/pgpool-general/2015-January/003464.html

[2] http://www.accustack.com/postgresql-replication-pgpool-ii/