[pgpool-general: 4932] Load balancing issue

Vlad Novikov xou.slackware at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 05:48:13 JST 2016

Hello,

I'm have setup pgpool-II with 2 backends in streaming mode (see
configuration file attached). In particular, I have load_balance_mode = off
to make sure that in this pool all connections will be established to
streaming master only. However, over some time I see pgpool-II establishing
connections to hot standby server. As a result client applications start
failing as they cannot write to the database they're connected to. So far
the only solution for me is to keep the hot standby detached (which is not
a good idea in terms of automated failover).
Pgpool-II starts behaving like this at about 100 clients connected.
PostgreSQL max_connections is set to 900 and with hot standby detached
there are no connection issues reported (all clients can connect to the
backend with no issues).
I use pgpool-II and PostgreSQL provided by PostgreSQL official repository.
PostgreSQL 9.4.9
pgpool-II 3.5.3
OS: CentOS 7.2

Is there anything I need to change in the configuration file to make all
clients connect to master only when both backends are attached? From what I
understand that is expected with load_balance_mode = off.

Regards,
Vlad